Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH on mips
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/25/1998 12:12:53
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Todd Vierling writes:

>It's not just autoconf that I'm worried about - in fact, I'm also worried
>about the cross-compilability of the NetBSD tree.  How does a cross-pmake
>know which mips platform to build for?  When configuring things like the
>toolchain, this is very important (and again, brings up the argument that a
>little endian toolchain _is_different_ from a big endian toolchain).

I don't think I understand this.  My take is that if you configre a
NetBSD cross-compiler for mips, it MUST be able to produce either
mipsel or mipseb code. (because that's what the native mips toolchains do.)

You then select one or the other by specifying a mips endian-ness flag
on the command line.
Do we have machinery in the make system to do this? No.
Does changing ${MACHINE_ARCH} fix this? No. At least I dont see how.

if the suggestion is that we configure toolchains for either mipsel or
mipseb, but not both, then we've had a Core member and the portmaster
vote against that. (at least for native toolchains, and imo
cross-chains should be the same).

(BTW, SONY NEWS and Sun/Gosling's NeWS are different acronyms :))