Subject: NEC ARC machine wanted
To: None <port-mips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/17/1998 09:42:32
Hi, all.

We are looking for a specific ARC compliant product once marketed by
NEC U.S. (Packerd Bell), named "Express Server."

It was the straight descendent of ARC specification.  I heard that
the product line was originally developed by ex-MIPS people and
grown by NEC Japan with much effort.  It is NT machine by definition.
NEC Japan eventually made PCI/R10000 multiprocessor models, however,
as all of you know, the product line was adandoned, (and replaced by
multiprocessor Pentiums)

We are desperately seek for it, because;

        1. NEC Japan seems wisely to control the inventory prior to
           official announcement to avoid dead stock.  So, we can not
           expect to obtain them as surplus.
        2. We heard a rumour what the product line were marketed inside
           U.S., and there must have been excess inventory at the
           moment of adandonment.

We are willing to pay nominal fee to acquire it.  Yes, we are planing to
build PCI/R10000 NetBSD/arc to run a certain development project.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology