Subject: Re: pica
To: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/27/1997 23:19:27
Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu> writes:

>I would like to build the pica sources in an attempt to get NetBSD running
>on my ARC machine...   However, I only have Alpha's, SPARC's, and i386's
>currently running NetBSD.  How could I build the appropriate cross compiler?

It isn't quite as simple as setting up a cross-compiler...

The Pica code in the tree is very old. I've recently updated most of
it to compile and link cleanly wiht the new merged sys/arch/mips code.
(It would be great if someone could test that on a Pica.)

However, the old NetbSD/Pica tree doesn't have support for any
non-Pica ARC machines. Do you have a Pica (or other rebadged Mips
Magnum), or some other kind of ARC-compatible machine?

Soda-san is working on more general ARC support, including the NEC
RISCstation, but currently based on an older version of the NetBSD
mips code. Perhaps getting in touch with him is a good idea.

>Does anyone out there have any NetBSD/pica binaries?   Is there any easier
>way to do this?

For userland code, the pmax tarballs should just work on a pica,
assuming you can get NetBSD booted...