Subject: mips1, mips3 support in NetBSD/mips and pmax GENERIC kernel
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG, port-mips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mips
Date: 06/21/1997 20:33:15
I've just committed changes to sys/arch/mips and sys/arch/pmax that
allow configuring a single kernel to boot on either r3000-based or
r4000/r4400-based DECstations.  This wouldn't have happened without
the help of Michael Hitch, who deserves a lot of the credit.

One nasty change is that I changed the locore callback jumptable,
which the kernel locore accesses via assym.h.  The NetBSD kernel
Makefiles no longer have to rebuild assym.h when the source header
files change.  I'm not sure how to fix that.

For now, the safest thing is to cd to your kernel build directory, and
remove assym.h manually before rebuilding a kernel.

Over the next few days we're going to change the mips kernel source to
use more standard naming conventions.  The MACH_xxx macros and
function calls (which are derived from the Sprite OS) are going to be
renamed to MIPS_xxx.  In short, /sys/arch/mips and /sys/arch/pmax
should start looking less like Sprite and more like a NetBSD port
(e.g., like the Alpha port).  These name changes shouldn't really
affect anything other than appearance.

I'm also going to try and get the NetBSD/pica tree in -current to the
point where it compiles. (That's really only to clean up the
sys/arch/mips initalization code; we plan to fold in newer OpenBSD/arc
derived code, based on Noriyuki Soda's NEC RISCstation port.)

But if there's anyone out there who has access to an Acer Pica who is
willing to test a NetBSD/pica kernel in the meantime, that would be
great; please get in touch with me or the port-mips list.