Subject: Re: need identification of R3000 board.
To: None <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/06/1997 16:56:53
   Sender: miff@spam.frisbee.net.au
   Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 10:36:46 +0930
   From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>

   Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

   > There is a 40 MHz clock near to the cpu. There are 32 single inline
   > connectors, supposed to be for some kind of memory modules (up to 32
   > MB), floppy connector, SCSI connector, AMD 7990 Ethernet, Dallas DS1287
   > clock chip, and a 3-row 96-pin connector for a graphics board,. The
   > power connector is 2-row 5-pin (male).

oops. Power is 2-row X 5 == 10-pin.

   > Does anybody recognize the board? Can you tell me what kind of ancient
   > memory modules to hunt down and connect (I think I can identify the
   > power connector pinout with a multimeter)?

   I don't recognise the board per se. (sorry), but if you can describe
   the memory connectors (pins or sockets?  how many pins?) a little
   better we might be able to help.  With that many of them, they
   may well be "standard" 30-pin SIP/SIM modules.

Err, I might have been too vague about this. Yes, they are supposed to
be 30-pin SIPP... was there only one sort of them?

   If the board is roughly rectangular, put it in front of you,
   component side up with the short side with the I/O connectors
   facing away from you.

   If the 96-way graphics card connector is now on the top of the
   right-hand side, and the card plugged into it would be in
   the same plane as the board and adjacent to it, I would say
   that the board you have is possibly from Sony NeWS machine,
   perhaps a go-faster upgrade (as I seem to recall that the
   original boards were unmistakably Sony work).

No, it looks like this (view from component side).
The ! show the approximate area where the graphics board is
(it's parallel to the main board). There are 32 30-pin in-line
connectors (female), which are supposed to be SIPP, and to allow
up to 32 MB of memory to be connected.

I tracked down ITOS, and hope to get some answer on my E-mail...

+-ser-ser--par25---+			+--AUI------BNC---+
|!                !|			|                 |
|!                !|                    |                 |
|!SIP             !|			|		  |
|!SIP             !|			|		  |
|! .              !+--------------------+		  |
|! .              !     				  |
|! .              !     				  |
|! .              !     				  |
|! .            9c!                                       |
|! .            6o!     	               SCSI conn  |
|! .    	pn!                   POWER    FLoppy conn|
|! .    	in!     	      CONN      	  |
|!SIP   	n.!     				  |
|                                              8led  14pin|

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis