Subject: Re: need identification of R3000 board.
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/05/1997 10:36:46
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> There is a 40 MHz clock near to the cpu. There are 32 single inline
> connectors, supposed to be for some kind of memory modules (up to 32
> MB), floppy connector, SCSI connector, AMD 7990 Ethernet, Dallas DS1287
> clock chip, and a 3-row 96-pin connector for a graphics board,. The
> power connector is 2-row 5-pin (male).
>
> Does anybody recognize the board? Can you tell me what kind of ancient
> memory modules to hunt down and connect (I think I can identify the
> power connector pinout with a multimeter)?

I don't recognise the board per se. (sorry), but if you can describe
the memory connectors (pins or sockets?  how many pins?) a little
better we might be able to help.  With that many of them, they
may well be "standard" 30-pin SIP/SIM modules.

If the board is roughly rectangular, put it in front of you,
component side up with the short side with the I/O connectors
facing away from you.

If the 96-way graphics card connector is now on the top of the
right-hand side, and the card plugged into it would be in
the same plane as the board and adjacent to it, I would say
that the board you have is possibly from Sony NeWS machine,
perhaps a go-faster upgrade (as I seem to recall that the
original boards were unmistakably Sony work).

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"