Subject: Re: port-mips is a mips-CPU list, not a MipsCo port
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/01/1997 13:42:54
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I asked Jason to create this list as some kind of analogue of the
> port-m68k list. Should we create another list for that?  ISTR that
> last time I discussed this with Jason, he suggestsed using port-mips
> for a system-neutral, mips-CPU-based porting list, and using something
> *else* (port-mipsco?) for the boxes MipsCo shipped as a system vendor.

I think that, for now, the discussions are likely to have lots of
overlap.  If/when there's a NetBSD running on MipsCo boxen, there
might be a call for a port-specific list.

To that end, I'd like to stir a little discussion about the MipsCo
boxes, particularly with regard to the NetBSD mips support of the r3k
in a big-endian environment. All the MipsCo machines of which I am
aware are r3kbe (there are probably some r2k machines but I know
nothing of them).

Is the MI mips code ready for showtime?  How would one go about
constructing a arch subtree to make use of it?  What still needs
work?  Per recently committed an r3kbe port (wgrisc) to the OBSD
tree which I have been studying for a while now in an effort to
reach some understanding of the various issues, but I'm still
lagging 8(

Is there actually anyone on the air here with MipsCo hardware?
Even something as old and krufty as an M/120 would be a useful
companion.  (Ask me off the list about getting RiscOS if you
need a bootstrap platform.)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"