Re: Would a USB NetBSD/macppc install image be feasible

On 22/03/2020 17:34, David Brownlee wrote:
> It sounds like its possible to boot from USB on a number of macppc
> models - even if its only a subset it would make it substantially
> easier for many people.
>
> http://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/08/booting-your-ibook-g4-from-usb-stick.html?m=1

On older machines you can issue 'probe-usb' command to enumerate the
attached USB devices. Thing is that on some machines doing that kills
the keyboard so you can't type anything newer. I tried to cheat by
attaching a USB keyboard aswell but that didn't work.
I have a FW-800 PowerBook G4 which lacks the IDE ribbon for the HDD and
I was lucky that 'probe-usb' works without issue and so I run that from
the USB flash drive.
My titanium powerbook do not like it.

Sevan