Re: Installing NetBSD/macppc

> Hmm, that needs to be changed, it used to say basic 970 CPU support is
> in 5.0, and nothing else. Sorry about that :/
> Actual PowerMac G5 support is in -current, but experimental at best.
> I got most built-in peripherals running, including fan control and such,
> but there's a lot of work left to be done. Also, the fan control
> hardware is ridiculously model-specific, I have it working on
> PowerMac7,3 ( that's the PCI-X SMP machine ) and 11,2 ( the PCIe
> variant ), but anything else likely needs adjustments.
> If you want to play with NetBSD on that hardware you need -current
> ( HEAD in the daily builds ) in order to have a fighting chance to get
> anywhere, and even that may or may not work on your machine. All the G5
> models differ in some ways, and I have only two of them.
>
> If you want to play with NetBSD on a mac, pretty much any 32bit machine
> should Just Work. If it has to be this one you'll be better off with
> FreeBSD for the time being.
>
> have fun
> Michael

Thanks so much for all your efforts on NetBSD/macppc; couple questions:

0.  Any chance we can have a working NetBSD/macppc install ISO for PowerPC 970
    (e.g., Apple Power Mac G5) by 9.0?  And

1.  if not, could you point a NetBSD newbie like me to some resources on how to
    put together a bootable NetBSD/macppc install ISO built from -current/HEAD?

I really appreciate your humility/modesty in suggesting FreeBSD as a possible
alternative; however, I’d like to try getting a working NetBSD/macppc
installation up and running on my Power Mac G5 first before jumping to FreeBSD.

Thanks so much in advance!
Austin

“If you want to change the future, start living as if you’re already there.”  —Lynn Conway