Re: G5 powermacs

>> 0 > boot cd:\netbsd_g5_11_2 load-size=399 adler32=3990001
>> unrecognized Client Program format
>
> underscores in file name
>> Checking the state of those files on the CD on my amd64 desktop:
>>
>> # ls -l netbsd*
>> -rw-r--r--  1 polkitd  wheel  3840424 Jun  8 11:39 netbsd-g5
>> -rw-r--r--  1 polkitd  wheel  3922428 Jun  8 11:39 netbsd-g5-11-2
>
> dashes in file name
>
> Could it be that?

Almost...  However, the directory listing OpenFirmware gave me
when I did "dir cd:\" was (among others) "NETBSD_G5.;1" and
"NETBSD_G5_11_2.;1".  The dashes are probably an artifact of the
RockRidge extensions.

And ... as it turns out, I actually need to include the ".;1"
part of the file name, so the boot command becomes:

boot cd:\NETBSD_G5_11_2.;1

and with that I have the kernel loaded.

I see the "OF_Quiesce finished" printout and the first few lines
of the kernel messages, but once it has printed the line which
starts with "genfb0", the screen blanks for me and (apparently)
never unblanks.  I should perhaps note that the G5 I use has
nvidia graphics.  Hmm, what happens if I comment out "genfb" from
the kernel config? (It'll probably bomb later when it finds it
has no wsdisplay?)

A few tens of seconds later, the fans in the machine appear to
spin up to full speed.  Since the screen is still blank, I have
at this point no way to interact with the system, so I had to
turn it off again with a long press on the power button.

Regards,

- Håvard