Re: ofwboot.xcf problem (port-macppc/44895)

On Jun 2, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

>>> The workaround is already in -6 and -7 and it's called ofwboot.elf :)
>
> Well, the installation notes say
>
>  Note:
>  ofwboot.elf is obsoleted.  All users should be using ofwboot.xcf
>  instead of ofwboot.elf now.
>
> and there's no other mention of ofwboot.elf.  If that note is no
> longer true, the documentation should be updated.

...definitely.

> I sort-of knew there was an ofwboot.elf, but I was (and am) unsure of
> when it can or should be used.
>
>> Not so helpful for those of us with Open Firmwares that can't load ELF. :-)
>
> Is the ability to load ELF only supported in OpenFirmware 3.x?

It's definitely not supported on 1.0.5. I don't know what other versions I have, since I've mostly stuck to my 68K and OldWorld (604e) machines for NetBSD.

>> If I get some round tuits soon, I'll take a gander; I have a pile of
>> PPC machines of various flavors here (Old and New World, plus G5s),
>> at least one of which should catch the problem.
>
> Sounds good -- let us know how that goes.
>
> Let me go off on a little tangent: what is the state of the support
> for the G5 PowerMacs?  Are there any "gotchas"?

Not responding to any of the other particulars, because I can't remember, but I do recall there being varying levels of support because some G5s have weirder interrupt controllers than others, which aren't particularly well documented.

What's the policy on referring to driver code from xnu and basing BSD-licensed code off it? Strikes me as legally murky, but it seems like maybe the best place to find info on otherwise-poorly-documented low-level hardware.

- Dave