Re: ofwboot.xcf problem (port-macppc/44895)

Hello,

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 18:55:12 +0300
Valery Ushakov <uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 11:43:48 -0400, David Riley wrote:

> > > The workaround is already in -6 and -7 and it's called ofwboot.elf :)
> >
> > Not so helpful for those of us with Open Firmwares that can't load ELF. :-)
> >
> > If I get some round tuits soon, I'll take a gander; I have a pile of
> > PPC machines of various flavors here (Old and New World, plus G5s),
> > at least one of which should catch the problem.
>
> Well, so far people has been complaining only about mac minis, iirc.
> I had this problem with a mini.  jmmv@'s pr was for a mini.  Havard's
> mail was about a mini.  And mini's OFW does grok ELF.

IIRC most if not all OF3 or newer groks ELF, all my OF3 boxes
have /packages/elf-loader
Since ( for now at least ) the loader needs to be installed by hand
anyway on these machines, maybe updating the docs is enough for now.

> macallan@ says his macppc machines (all not minis) have no problems
> with ofwboot.xcf

Indeed, and all different ofwboot / ofwboot.xcf too, whatever was
-current at the time. There was fallout around the time 601 support was
added but that has been fixed.
That said, there are PRs about certain powerbook G4 models failing in
similar ways, did anyone try ofwboot.elf on one of those?

have fun
Michael