Re: kernel FPU trap panic

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Michael wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 21:34:00 -0700
> Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > What instruction is at 0x504?  Did memory get overwritten.
> >
> > I wonder if shutting the lid caused the exception code to get overwritten.
>
> I also recently fixed a bug that would cause panics on PMU events like
> closing the lid.

In the case of this system, the lid was closed shortly after its last
normal reboot (following system update) as I discovered that rebooting
with the lid closed does not keep the backlight off.

I was logged into the machine via SSH and it had been running, building
packages for about 48 hours before the SSH session was noticed to be
unresponsive (it was in the process of extracting a distfile for the
next package to build).  Opening the lid did not turn on the backlight,
nor did pressing either of the brightness-control keys.  That's when I
performed a forced reboot with the residual messages I posted initially.