RE: status of NetBSD/macppc support for the PowerPC 970 (G5) CPU

It does support the G5 according to the Model Support list  http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html . As for status, for me it has been functional, although a bit quircky. I found on my G4 that it was amazing on the command line, but as soon as I started trying to build graphical applications (e.g. a _javascript_ enabled  web browser of any kind), I had a lot of issues. So if you want to use it for a file server or something NetBSD should do nicely, but if you want it to act as a desktop, it can do so but be prepared for challenges as you have to upgrade to -current to get a lot of dektop functionality to work as expected.