apache pkgsrc binary unstable on NetBSD 5.2

I've installed the relevant 5.1 packages on my newly upgraded 5.2 test system.
The OS upgrade - boot from CD, upgrade, reboot - is almost flawless.
(nice job. ;-> )

Unfortunately, I seem to have hit a bug.  It looks to me like this is the
one: bug: lib/39986

Symptoms:
Errors in the apache error log precede a crash and failure of apache.  It
won't stay up.

>/usr/pkg/lib/php/20090630/zlib.so: Trying to call undefined weak symbol
>`__deregister_frame_info'

It looks like this is fixed in 5.2, but there are no package binaries for
5.2, only 5.1.

I'm still looking for a fix.  An option, in theory, is to re-build those
misbehaving packages on my 5.2 system.  I have therefore downloaded
pkgsrc, and am trying to build some, starting with devel/zlib.

When I do "make readme" on pkgsrc, I get tons of these:

Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
test: 20090528: unexpected operator
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
test: 20090528: unexpected operator
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found
Shared object "libarchive.so.3" not found

Am I doing something stupid, or does pkgsrc have some dependency on
6.0? (I think libarchive.so.3 is in 6.0)

Is it reasonable for me to re-build those packages that are misbehaving
to fix my apache stability problem, or am I putting effort down
a rat-hole?

Another fix for me would be to use packages built on 5.2.  Are there plans to
do that?

Thanks for any help,

-dgl-