Re: NetBSD on a PowerMac G5

On Jan 11, 2013, at 2:39 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> [snip]

> Be aware they're extremely unreliable.  The quad-CPU modules fail and
> Apple will no longer replace them under warranty (needless to say).  I
> have one of these whose CPUs have failed for the fourth time -- they
> have been replaced twice under warranty while I owned the system and
> once while its prior owner had it, but this time the warranty on the
> third warranty repair had just expired when things went south.  You
> might want to investigate one of the last-generation dual-G5 models
> instead, which are architecturally very similar.  I don't actually know
> they're more reliable, but there should at least be less heat!

After communicating with Julio offline, I did a little research into the
difference between the dual and quad machines. If I understand things correctly
the quad machines were liquid cooled and there are two versions of the cooling
system. The earlier liquid cooled systems are unreliable because the cooling
systems leaked. The later systems didn't leak as often and are thus slightly
more reliable.

-- Chris

                                      "There will be an answer, Let it be."
                                           e: chris -at- vindaloo -dot- com