Re: installing using serial console and cross compiling

On Jun 12, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Jeanie Zick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am installing on a G4 Xserve. First of all, I would like to use a serial
> console to do the install. I have googled and I just can't seem to find this.
> What should my settings be? Also, should I be using minicom or is there
> something else that someone could recommend or is there something built into
> NetBSD?

I've always hated screwing around with Minicom, since it's definitely designed
with modems in mind.  Try screen instead, if you have it installed (or install
it if it isn't already, because it's a great utility).  Just "screen <device>
<baud>" and you'll open the serial connection with no problem.  Ctrl-A followed
by K quits.

> Next, I have done an install and the system stops booting at root device. I
> tried building the cross compiler on a 68060 system running 4.0.1 with
> "./build.sh -m macppc -O /usr/obj --T /usr/tools tools", but it core dumped
> with:

Your errors look like a problem with the toolchain, but I'll leave that for
someone else to answer.

- Dave