Re: Packages question - version 5.1 on 5.0.2 system?

>On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Donald Lee
><MacPPC2%caution.icompute.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Should this work?
>
>Maybe, but it's not a good idea. There's no guarantee that it will
>work, let's say.
>
>Backwards compatibility is something the NetBSD developers work
>toward. Forward compatibility is not.
>
>You should add packages from whatever the latest build is for your
>kernel level, or one which is lower.
>
>Something like this:
>
>pkg_add -v
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/macppc/5.0_2010Q1/All/<pkgname>
>
>My preference is to sync the current pkgsrc directory and build
>everything myself. I always use "make package", that way there is a
>binary package built in pkgsrc/packages/All/ for me. I know that
>package will work on my box, and probably continue to work as long as
>I upgrade kernels. In the future if I need to uninstall or rebuild the
>box, I can re-add the packages like this:
>
>pkg_add -v /path/to/pkgsrc/packages/All/<pkgname>
>
>All of the dependencies will be there as well since they got built
>during the "make package" process.
>
>Andy

Thank you very much for your response.

A big reason for my move to using the pkg system is that I want to get
away from building all this stuff myself.  I have a "custom" version of
apache, analog, wget, perl, etc etc and using pkg_add is MUCH nicer from
a maintenance POV.

I have been trying to figure out how best to get the packages loaded
that are most appropriate, and have been a little surprised that many
of the packages in:
        pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/5.0_2010Q1/All

are built for 5.1 (or at least that is the complaint of pkg_add)
I backed off to the "2009Q4/All" set, but that gets me older
packages, and still does not ensure that the packages are built for
5.0.  (as far as I can tell)

I was trying to figure out if there is an easy way to find the packages I
need from all the "batches", yielding the latest 5.0 build of each.

Why *are* the packages in "pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/5.0_2010Q1/All"
built for 5.1?  I would think that the "5.0_xxxx" name would limit the
choices to 5.0 builds.

Thanks again,

-dgl-