Re: ofwboot enhancement

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

>> the following patch will make ofwboot automatically find a NetBSD root
>> partition, when no device name is specified in the boot file name.
>>
>> For example a simple "boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf" will now always find the
>> root partition and load the netbsd kernel from it.
>
> (btw your mailer converts tab to four spaces?)

Seems so. The original source is ok.

> Does it still work with disk which don't have MBR or
> valid Apple parititon map?

I cannot test that without destroying my current installation, but I'm quite
condifdent as nothing was changed there. Checking for a raw disklabel is
still done first. Then it will look for APM or MBR partitions.

> installboot(8) creats "faked" Apple partition map to make
> old OF 2.x load primary bootxx.
> (see src/usr.sbin/installboot/arch/macppc.c:writeapplepartmap())

I'm not sure what that means for ofwboot. The difference might be that the
old ofwboot wouldn't try to look for a kernel in this fake partition, but
use the complete disk instead. Is that a problem?

Unfortunately I have no OF 2.x machine for testing.

--
Frank Wille