Re: Installing 5.0.2 on a PowerBook G4

Hello,

On Oct 7, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

Michael wrote:

ofwboot understands ffs since ~forever ( as in, at least since 1.6 ).
It uses OF calls to read blocks from the disk but that's about it.

After a short glance over the source it seems that it will only find a
disklabel in MBR partitions (quite useless) or without any partitions, at
the beginning of the device.

I don't know where NetBSD stores the disklabel on macppc,

So there is just the code missing which builds a disklabel from the Apple
partition map (can be taken from macppc/disksubr.c).

I don't know what you're talking about. Ofwboot seems to at least understand whatever partitioning scheme OSX uses. It may or may not use offsets relative to whatever OF thinks about partitions though, so it's probably not ofwboot itself.

You have to point it at the right partition number which may be
confusing and annoying since OF's numbering may or may not agree with
anything else.

I gave up to find it out. :)

Check what partition number OSX uses, on my hardware it matches up nicely with OF. Also, the number may be quite high.

It would be nice if it could find the first ffs partition
automagically if none is given.

Indeed. I will look into it, when I find some time during the next days.

Maybe it even makes sense to have a common ofwboot for ofppc and macppc, but
I'm not sure how different the two have grown.

I'm not sure how much of it is macppc-specific but there's probably quite a bit of code to work around differences and weirdnesses in the various OF versions Apple used over the years.

Some *Books can switch CPU or bus speeds and on those OF will start up
at low speed. On the iBook G4 there is a gpio to switch it to full
speed ( see sysctl machdep.cpu_speed ) but I have no idea if your
PowerBook uses the same mechanism.

No, such a sysctl-entry doesn't exist here. It's a 7447A.

IIRC my iBook G4 has the same CPU.

Hmm... the dmesg shows:

cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,EICE,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,FBIOB,ABE,BHT>,
powersave: 1

So powersave is on. There must be a way to switch it off. I will
investigate.

That has nothing to do with CPU speed - this flag controls wether the CPU will attempt to sleep when idle.

[..wrong keyboard layout..]
Yes, the german keymap should live somewhere in sys/dev/usb - nothing
keeps you from making one for the PowerBook.

Ok, I could patch the current one, but is there a clean solution, e.g. to use a specific keymap when an USB keyboard of some type/manufacturer is
detected?

I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with the USB code. What I meant is you could make a new map based on de that matches the PowerBook ( de_mac or whatever )

[..cbb is dead..]
should just work. Does it attach completely?
As in, do cardslot, cardbus and pcmcia attach?

cbb0 at pci1 dev 19 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PCI- CardBus Bridge
(rev. 0x00)
[...]
cbb0: cacheline 0x8 lattimer 0x10
cbb0: bhlc 0x21008
cbb0: interrupting at irq 53
cardslot0 at cbb0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

Hmm, that looks good.

And, did you try -current?

Yes. Same effect.

Weird. I get this:
cbb0 at pci1 dev 26 function 0: vendor 0x104c product 0xac1e (rev. 0x00)
cbb0: cacheline 0x8 lattimer 0x10
cbb0: bhlc 0x21008
cbb0: interrupting at irq 58
cardslot0 at cbb0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

which translates to Texas Instruments PCI1211 PCI-CardBus Bridge

9. Controlling the display brightness and the keyboard illumination
would be great. But I guess there is no documentation available?

What kind of graphics chip do you have?

genfb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon Mobility 9600/9700
(M10/11) NP
genfb0: framebuffer at 0xb8008000, size 1280x854, depth 8, stride 1280

Should Just Work in -current since yesterday or so:
wsconsctl -w brightness=whatever

I just added generic backlight
control support via OF calls and radeonfb supported it for a while.

Great! :)
Hm. For a while?

You're not using radeonfb :p
That code has been in radeonfb for at least a year. Needs some changes though.
The code in genfb depends on OF calls.

Since you have a USB keyboard I have no clue where events from the
brightness / volume control buttons end up,

Currently my kernel has FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS defined, which translates the
hot keys back into normal function keys.

That's for ADB keyboards and won't work on -current anyway. On older *Books the hotkeys appear as a separate ADB device which these days sends PMF events. I have no idea what they did on USB keyboards.

I still have to test if X11 works...

Depends entirely on the graphics chip. If it's a radeon it probably
will,

It is a Radeon, but it won't.
I just typed "startx" without any config file. It failed because of that:

Fatal server error:
can't switch keyboard to raw mode. Enable support for it in the kernel

Well, enable support for it in the kernel :p
Otherwise, X -configure should do the right thing.

have fun
Michael