Re: machfb still broken for first gen iMacs

As for the machfb problems, thanks for confirming that I am not the
only person having this problem.

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, John Klos wrote:

I wrote:

It is interesting that the iMac described here (333MHz) seems not to
have the atabus attachment problem that I have on my original Bondi-Blue
iMac (233MHz) running NetBSD-5 or later.

It might be worth loading a new genfb kernel to see if you still get that

I have it building now.  Will try it as soon as I get a chance.

issue. What drives do you have on your IDE busses? My setup is a little less standard, I think, since the motherboard isn't in a machine and the IDE goes to a SATA drive through an adapter which is master on the primary IDE channel.

My iMac is still in its regular shell with the factory display.  It has
an IBM 20GB 7200RPM IDE disk on the first IDE interface and the factory
CD-ROM (tray-loading) drive on the second IDE interface.

It has to do with something that changed between NetBSD-4 and NetBSD-5.
A NetBSD-4 kernel will attach the IDE/ATA bus and drives just fine, but
NetBSD-5 and later will hang on the attempt (and before any dmesg
output).  Disabling atabus with userconf will let it boot.

The last suggestion was confusion over level- versus edge-triggered
interrupts.  I reported all the information I could gather, but hadn't
heard anything more about it.