RE: me too: invalid memory access early in boot, and macppc partitioning woes

I second machine I tried has the same problem.
A third older machine, 500MHz iBook G3 gets past this every time.
However something(s) are very off with macppc partitioning.
I fiddled with it for hours and no luck.
I've installed all of Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD many times.
  Always from optical media, granted, except for Linux and OpenBSD upgrades.
  That's just to establish my "medium" skill set.

I tried three different methods:
  NetBSD pdisk
  NetBSD fdisk (I know that's wierd, but I have OpenBSD using
    MBR on macppc and it seems the easiest to get to boot).
  MacOSX 10.2 Disk Utility

One mistake I did make repeatedly is using /dev/wd0a instead of /dev/wd0c.
Some of the problems I see, with "a" and/or "c":
  Lots of read errors starting up pdisk.
  pdisk's "i" command always fails with "device is busy" when it goes to write
  I often get, NOT due to my own editing, but somehow junk labels with
   a bunch of overlap, that disklabel won't write due to the overlap.
  If I just have disklabel attempt to write back what it initially read,
   I get the error that the disklabel checksum or such is out of date, and
   it doesn't get written.

It /seems/ that NetBSD blows away anything I do with Apple Disk Utility.

I have gotten setup to proceed all the way through, but I can never boot the result.
I tried creating 100MB HFS and the rest UFS with the Apple utility, but NetBSD sysinst
seems to remove the HFS partition.

I thought I had easily installed NetBSD/macppc years ago, an older versions, but I'm not sure.
Lately I only have tried 5.0.1 (I don't want to use a system without $RPATH support.)

 - Jay