Re: Installing and booting and OF3 machine from a single empty internaldisk, not working

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> Probably we have to add #ifdef ${MACHINE} or something similar
> in the device_register() function to handle machine dependent quirks.

So my big idea about re-writing docs so that we can get a standalone
install to work on a OF3 ppc Mac was probably misguided if I really
only have machine specific problems.

It's funny that I now have 2 ppc Macs (B&W G3, eMac G4) that have boot
problems with NetBSD though.

On my B&W G3, OpenBSD booted fine from their standalone CD installer.
I think part of the reason they can do this is they just say they
don't support any of the older machines. I haven't tried FreeBSD yet.

My G4 eMac seems to just be a problem, at least with netbooting. I
couldn't netboot OpenBSD on it either, even with the same setup which
did work on the G3 machine. I'm still going to try installing from the
CD, but it only as it's single internal disk so it's a bit tough if
you want to keep OSX (I do). I think it would be worth adding a note
to the supported machines that the 1.25ghz eMacs have netboot
problems.

These things are frustrating. Why can't they just be simple like an
old Sparc box or a Cobalt Qube2? :)

Andy