Re: Installing and booting and OF3 machine from a single empty internaldisk, not working

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
>> The disklabel part fails the same as if I try to prepare the disk manually:
>>
>> disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Label magic number or checksum is wrong!
>> (disklabel or kernel is out of date?)
>
> Hmm, does your disk have existing Apple Partition Map created by pdisk(8)?
> If so, what happens if you zap it by dd(1) before sysinst?
> (like "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c bs=512 count=16" etc)
>
> I'm afraid disklabel(8) command doesn't take care of Apple Partitin maps.

Thanks!

This worked, until I hit the next problem. NetBSD installed, and I can
use this command to boot a kernel, but it won't complete the boot:

boot ultra1:,ofwboot.xcf

I thought I tried "zeroing" the front of the disk before when I was
manually using fdisk and disklabel but it didn't work (I still got the
same error from disklabel about incorrect magic number). Did you fix
disklablel or fdisk as well? Or maybe I was using the wrong FAT type
for my machine?

The next problem is a problem I also had while testing netbooting when
I started this thread:

I was able to boot the kernel, however I also have wd0 as the OSX disk
and wd1 as the NetBSD disk like you do. The kernel is not expecting to
boot from wd1 I guess, so I would have to tell it to do that at this
prompt during boot:

boot device: <unknown>
root device:

But I can't do this. The problem is, on my machine, the keyboard
doesn't work at this point during the boot process so my only option
seems to be to hardcode the boot device to be wd1. I think?

Again, this is my machine:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_400_bl.html

Is there a way to change the "config" of the kernel to point to a
different boot device without re-compiling? I never heard of it but
maybe I'm missing something. If there was, it would be nice to have
this available on the boot CD and you could just set it to whatever it
needs to be right there.

Andy