Re: Installing and booting and OF3 machine from a single empty internal disk, not working

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> With the following labels, my Mac G4 AGP
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_400_agp.html
> can load ofwboot.xcf from MSDOSFS (FAT16) on wd1 disk
> and a kernel in wd1a boots fine. (wd0 disk still has MacOS)

My apologies, I said I was going to work on this more but my "real"
job is getting in the way. I also bought a G4 eMac 1.25 ghz that I'm
trying to netboot but so far I haven't been able to do this. It will
boot the bootloader but I think there is some problem loading the
kernel. I will check wireshark when I get time. I was hoping to
compare the boot process between this machine and my blue and white
G3.

> 0 > boot ultra1:,ofwboot.xcf -c load-size=e938 adler32=a43122e3

What is the stuff after -c? How do you know that you need this?

Also, did you create the disk layout with an install kernel? This
would be the best solution in my opinion, we could have some
instructions on how to set up the disk using the install kernel, then
install with the install kernel, and then boot the machine as you have
done. At least this is something that will work for most people (I
think?). Even better, we create a new install kernel for OF3 machines
and separate install media, because the other BSDs seem to "just
work".

When I get more time I will work on this again...

Thanks for your work Izumi.

Andy