Re: Booting with root fs on another partition

On May 9, 2009, at 12:39 AM, Wim Lewis wrote:
The problem now is that the kernel doesn't recognize keyboard input when it's prompting for the root partition or for the path to init.

4.0.1 has a similar problem too, now that I test it. It prints the prompts for the root fs, dump/swap partition, and file system type, but does not pause for input, and just continues past that point, using the default values.

With 4.0.1:
-a : prints prompts for disk partitions, but does not wait for input, boots multiuser
  -c : reaches a working UKC prompt; boots successfully if I type quit
-s : prompts for path to init, responds to keyboard input, works normally

With 5.0-release:
-a : prints prompts for disk partitions, but does not wait for input; then prompts for path to init, and does not respond to keyboard. must power-cycle.
  -c : working UKC, followed by successful boot to multiuser
-s : prompts for path to init, responds to keyboard input, works normally

In all cases I'm now using the ofwboot.xcf from the 5.0(rc2) release (which prints a version number of 1.11), since it appears to have some bug fixes w.r.t. passing boot flags to the kernel.

Regarding my difficulty building a custom kernel, it looks like my build was picking up a -mcpu=7450 flag from /etc/mk.conf --- removing that flag produces a working GENERIC kernel, and presumably once I have time to build another with a different root partition, I'll be able to run 5.0. PEBCAK. :)