Re: Notes from installing on a G4 Mac Mini

he%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:

> 2) Why isn't the above used, so that what comes out at the other end
>    of a full release build contains an image which is bootable?
>    Surely we don't expect each user to first figure out and then do
>    the tweaks (untangling the src/distrib/cdrom stuff might be
>    ... challenging) and build from scratch before ending up with a
>    bootable image?  (Yes, this is a rhetorical question.)

Because some people consider that release binaries should
be built with our own toolchain without thirdparty tools?

There was also a bug which prevented mac68kcd iso build
in distrib/cdrom.

> I'll freely admit that I've peeked at the src/distrib/cdrom setup, and
> have not been able to figure out on my own how that might be applied
> to fix the problem.

Indeed, it isn't trivial to build ISOs there and there are few documents..

- prepare a machine running NetBSD
- extract -current sources and build tools for the host by build.sh tools
- install rsync(1) and mkisofs(8) from packages etc
  (note the latest cdrtools doesn't work (PR/37643)
   so cdrtools-2.01.01.27 or prior is required)
- prepare NetBSD-5.0.mk and 5.0.conf from 4.x files
  (replacing 4 -> 5 is enough)
- fetch release binaries:
 % make RELEASE=5.0 TARGET_CD_IMAGE=macppccd RSYNC_HOST=rsync.NetBSD.org \
   RSYNC_PATH=/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5/200902280000Z fetch
- distrib/cdrom/Makefile assumes that there are download/shared/ALL and
  download/shared/powerpc dirs but recent snapshot doesn't have them
  due to releng server's problem(?), so create them manually
- build macppccd ISO
 % make RELEASE=5.0 TARGET_CD_IMAGE=macppccd MKISOFS=/path/to/mkisofs all

Is it worth to commit 5.0 conf files and some README?

---
Izumi Tsutsui