Re: Help needed booting NetBSD on Beige G3 Rev1 from the 2nd IDEChannel

ardelean%ww.uni-erlangen.de@localhost wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
>
> After searching the archives and finding a message from Michael
> (macallan@ ---
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2008/05/02/msg000119.html)
> I have tried the partition 0 boot method but without success (I
> reinstalled on the disk after dd-ing the first 1000 sectors with 0). I
> copied ofwboot to the root partition, unmounted the wd1a and used
> installboot as follows:
>
> installboot /dev/rwd1c /usr/mdec/bootxx /ofwboot
>
> after rebooting and issuing the following boot command
> 0 > boot ide1/@0:0 netbsd
> I get the following error message: "can't OPEN:"
>
> I tried the same with the HDD placed on the primary IDE channel with
> exactly the same results (can't OPEN error message).
>
> Any idea why?

- you have to create partition A at the beginning of the disk for bootxx
- some Western Digital IDE disks could have some quirks and
  some non-PC firmwares (my Apus and Cobalts etc.) can't open them

You could also try to load ofwboot from CD-ROM (or floppy) with -a
option and specify a kernel on ide1 at Boot: prompt to see if
OF can open your ide1 disk.

---
Izumi Tsutsui