Power Macintosh 4400 power supply turn-on

I've got a Power Macintosh 4400 I want to use to do some PPC
development with.  It's got NetBSD on it from long ago.  But it has a
problem: it requires human attention to turn it on, and, as I recall,
it doesn't reboot cleanly, needing a power cycle.  I don't know if
anyone here happens to know the answer to this, but I figure it can
hardly hurt to ask.

My question is, will it work to unplug the small "standby power and
power control" connector from the motherboard and short the switch line
to ground, then control power from the other end of the power cord (I
have computer-controlled power available)?  Or does the motherboard get
upset if it doesn't see +5VSB?  (I haven't tried it for fear of letting
the magic smoke out.)

If that won't work, will it work to feed the motherboard ground and
+5VSB but ground the switch line elsewhere?

\ / Ribbon Campaign