Re: MacPPC serial ports in 4.0.1 - not quite

>On Dec 30, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Donald Lee wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough, what I did in the Cyclades driver was to add a call to
>> the interrupt handler every time it made a trip through the
>> "top half" polling loop.
>>
>> It didn't fix the interrupts, but it got the job done.
>
>Well, it kept calling the interrupt handler so even if the signalling
>mechanism was borked the interrupts were dealt with eventually.

I refer to it as the tried-and-true Brute Force and Massive Ignorance
approach.  Some things are more elegant, but few things are as
reliably effective. ;->

>> On the 4.0.1 machine,
>> I can set up an account on the machine for debugging,
>> or run some tests, w/ extra debug code on the machine in
>> question if that is helpful.  I would need a patch or at least
>> some pointers on what debug code would be required.  It's a
>> production machine, but I can "mess with it" at will because all
>> it does is monitor the other machines, so its operation is
>> not critical.
>
>First you should try to reproduce the problem and maybe narrow it down a bit.
>I have a beige G3 here but I'd have to get a serial cable somehow, my
>mini-DIN->DB9 adaptor seems to have wandered off.

I will do that.  I'll see if I can come up with a scenario that
reproduces the badness reliably with a minimum of time/setup.

-dgl-