Re: Reboot after power failure

Hey,

I remember something about writing to /dev/adc to turn the bit on/off. The machine doesn't run anymore so I can't really be anymore specific...

Matth

On 2-Dec-08, at 2:18 PM, Michael wrote:

Hello,

On Dec 2, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Daniel Eggert wrote:

On Dec 2, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Michael wrote:

Hello,

On Dec 2, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Daniel Eggert wrote:

Is it possible to set a macppc machine to automatically reboot after power failure?

OpenBSD seems to have this working in OpenBSD 4.1:

<http://www.openbsd.org/41.html>
"The OpenBSD/macppc platform now automatically turns the machine back on following an unexpected loss of power."

Is it some sort of OpenFirmware thing?

There's a bit for it in nvram, Apple likes to call it 'file server mode'. Not sure you can set it from OF.

have fun
Michael

How would I go about setting that bit?

A few lines in the pmu or cuda driver ( depending what mac you're talking about ) should do it.. I /think/ we had code for it at some point, probably set it on a few models that were intended to be servers. Anyway, this bit is managed by the onboard microcontroller ( cuda or pmu, depending what model you have ) and thus can be set or reset by sending commands to it. Shouldn't be too difficult to do. Also, I'm not sure all models support it.

have fun
Michael