Re: Powers off when booting on 17" Powerbook (5,7)

Hello,

On Oct 29, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Chris Wareham wrote:

I have been trying to install NetBSD onto a 17" Powerbook (5,7 with
1.67GHz processor). Both 4.0 and 4.0.1 install kernels boot to the point
where they have just detected the IDE bus, and then power off. OpenBSD
4.3 does the same, however both Mac OS X and Ubuntu Linux boot and
install. A build of -current, 4.99.72, booted the install kernel. I was able to setup the disk with pdisk and newfs, then reinstall the sets as
per the install guide. However, on attempting to reboot with the
installed GENERIC kernel, it hangs at the same point as 4.0 and 4.0.1
power off. I have also tried another hard drive pulled from an old
iBook, with the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's a quirk of this
Powerbook model rather than a dodgy drive.

Has anyone successfully installed any version of NetBSD on this model of
Powerbook?

Could you please post the INSTALL kernel's dmesg? I suspect PMU weirdness.

have fun
Michael