Re: HEAD install: unrecognized Client Program format

Joel CARNAT wrote:
Hello,

Le Mar 2 septembre 2008 12:20, Jared D. McNeill a écrit :
Joel CARNAT wrote:
Hi,

I just tried to boot 4.99.72/macppc on my Mini G4 and it fails:
##########
0 > boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc load-size=64b adler32=64b0001
unrecognized Client Program format
##########

This is the stock macppccd.iso from NetBSD-daily (200808270002Z).
It was burned on a CD-RW with cdrecord on NetBSD 4.99.72/i386.

Any thoughts ?
Hi Joel --

Something is wrong with the ISO images from the autobuild cluster. Try
this instead:

   boot cd:,MACPPC\INSTALLATION\OFWBOOT.XCF;1
MACPPC\BINARY\KERNEL\NETBSD_GENERIC_MD.GZ;1

it's nearly there :(
your command lead me to the NetBSD boot prompt then stops:
 >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
 >> (build@wb27, Fri Aug 22 15:33:23 PDT 2008)
 8997636+353044lseek note: invalid file offset
 Boot:

Yeah, that's where I got on my Powerbook G3 also.

Here I tried ENTER and got "open : No such file or directory".
Then "boot", "boot netbsd", "boot
/macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz", "boot
/macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz" and got "read header short"

Then noticing the "NETBSD_GENERIC" typo in your boot command (according to
my CD layout), I tried "boot cd:,MACPPC\INSTALLATION\OFWBOOT.XCF;1
MACPPC\BINARY\KERNEL\NETBSD-GENERIC_MD.GZ;1" but still got the "read
header short" error.

Not sure that was a typo, ISTR determining that name based on some OF command I forget to browse contents of the disc.

Any thoughts ?

I ended up repacking the ISO using mkisofs and a few options as described on /docs/bootcd.html, copied ofwboot.xcf and an uncompressed kernel to the root of the disc, and doing:

  boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.install

worked for me.

Cheers,
Jared