Re: DPMS or G3 iMac CRT

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:31:07AM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 24, 2008, at 11:51, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to turn the CRT off on a G3 CRT iMac (M5521)
>> under software control while not running Mac OS?
>>
>> DPMS in X doesn't seem to work.
>
> In theory it should work - the atimisc driver knows how to turn off sync
> signals which should turn the monitor off. I can't verify that right now
> though since I have no access to a G3 iMac anymore.

Well, maybe it's the hardware itself, the monitor blanks and all,
but the display comes back much too quickly, even after hours in
suspend/standby/off.  My Kill-A-Watt shows a drop of about 9-10W
from a idle-with-CRT-on state when transitioned to any of the 3
lower-power states.  This is much less power savings than a
stand-alone CRT monitor is capable of.  The 17" I'm in front of
now drops to under 10% it's fully-on power usage when put in
a power-saving mode.  Oh well, maybe this iMac isn't the best box
to leave on all the time.

        Jonathan Kollasch