Boot-problems on G3 BW

Hi,

this is my first attempt to install NetBSD 4 on a blue/white G3 with OpenFirmware 3.1.1. I'm installing from CD onto a single 120 Gig HD partitioned into several BSD4.2 parts and one HFS+ part. I tried to follow the instructions carefully, but after installation, I cannot boot into NetBSD.
Briefly, I have 10 partitions (including Mac-drivers etc.).

Partition 10 is HFS+, contains MacOS9 and the ofwboot.xcf file copied manually from the CD. disklabel numbers it "d"
Partition 6 is 4.2BSD and recognized by disklabel as "a"
Partition 7 is swap and "b"
and so on.

I beleive this is the way it should be, right? At the OF prompt I tried all sorts of boot-device and device-file options.
If I type:
boot hd:10,\ofwboot.xcf
or
boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf
or
boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf netbsd

the boot-process seems to start and lots of messages fly by, but it stops with

boot-device: <unknown>
root-device:

At that point I cannot use the keyboard any longer and have to reset the Mac. As far as I can see in the messages, the HD (wd0) is recognized or detected as well as the USB keyboard and mouse. I understand that I would have to name the boot-file after the boot- device name (no partition zero scheme with OF 3.x), however, if I try

boot hd:10,\ofwboot.xcf hd:6,netbsd

or alike, booting stops immediately after the first bootloader messages with an OF error message:

open hd:6,netbsd: No such file or directory
Boot: _

I tried other variations like

hd6:,/netbsd
hd6:,\netbsd

for the boot-file, but that doesn't work either. I imagine that OF doesn't like the hd:6 location as it cannot boot from 4.2BSD partitions and thus cannot load the netbsd file, but how can I solve this? Besides that, I wonder what exactly belongs to which part of the boot- process. ofwboot.xcf is the first stage bootloader and netbsd (the kernel?) is the second stage (=boot-file?). All the messages about hardware recognition are part of ofwboot.xcf?

Thanks for your help, Andreas