Re: Near successful iMac G3 Install

David H. Gutteridge wrote:
Hi,

To add to what Michael said:

### My ultimate goal is to try to "install" ofwboot and ofwboot.xcf
by copying them to an HFS partition (then I can boot into Mac OS 9 via
CD and copy them from there to the HFS+ boot partition ( but I don't
know if there is a better, easier, way)

You can use a DOS partition instead, NetBSD can read and write those, unlike HFS+. As far as I know all versions of OpenFirmware Apple ever
came up with can read DOS partitions.

I used an HFS partition with my laptop, once you get ofwboot.xcf there
you never have to touch it again (unless you want to upgrade that file,
of course).

- I believe that I read that HFS+ is not recognizable by BSD, but
that HFS can be used to transfer files

We have read-only support for HFS+, there are userland tools to deal with HFS.

You'll want the sysutils/hfsutils package from pkgsrc if you're indeed
sticking with an HFS boot partition.  You can get a binary here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD-3.1/powerpc/sysutils/hfsutils-3.2.6nb1.tgz

The simplest way to get that package onto an install you're in the
midst of tinkering with (if you don't have networking up) is to put
the file on a USB pen drive or a CD-RW and transfer it from there.
Install it with pkg_add, read the man page, and off you go.

(If you're vi-phobic, you could also do the same for your rc.conf file
and anything else, of course: edit elsewhere and transfer.)

Regards,

Dave

Yeah, why didn't I think of that!? I had already downloaded hfsutils, but hadn't figured out how to get it to my machine.

I've finally got the network up, and the installation finished, so I'm finally up and running!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Michael Lorenz wrote:
* I can interupt the installer and ftp to ftp.netbsd.org fine, as long as I enter an IP # rather than domain
name. So I believe that if I can get the system resolving DNS names, everything should work. (that also tells me that my network connection is not the problem)

You'll want to edit /etc/resolv.conf ( there's also a man page for it ) and add a handful nameservers, then name resolution should work immediately.

have fun
Michael

I finally gave up, finished the installation via CD, and began following the instructions
for the rc.conf file. I did one thing...
       dhclient = YES
and the everything works. I'm still thinking about re-installing and trying to get the network working from the installer (partly because after several long, late, nights it became like an obsession ;-)

So, it makes me think (but remember I'm a newbie) that I could have interrupted the installer and typed...
       dhclient = YES
in a shell, and this would have enabled DHCP and then installing via network should have worked. Am I thinking right? Or is it slightly more complicated to get the change to take effect?

Thanks again everyone for helping me get up and running!!!

Sincerely,
Bryan Pierce