Re: NetBSD on a PowerBook G4

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:09:56PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> > It is supported since at least 4.0. To make use of this, you'll need
> > to add a number of terminal entries to /etc/ttys (set status to
> > 'on' except for the console)
>
> Should be there by default.

It's been a while since I last installed and I wasn't sure :)

> > The keys to switch ttys are Alt+Apple+F1 through F5 if you have 5
> > entries.
>
> It's Command-F(1..5) unless you have a USB keyboard.

Ah, you're right.  I don't use it so often because it doesn't work
when you're in X and want to switch to a text terminal. What is the
reason that doesn't work, by the way?

> > However, the default kernel requires you to hold the "Fn" key
> > while pressing one of the function keys to get it interpreted as a
> > function key. If you don't press the Fn key, it sees the keypress as
> > one of the media keys (brightness, volume control, numlock and eject)
>
> This has nothing to do with the kernel - MacOS X actually reprograms
> the keyboard controller, you can change that setting in MacOS X's
> Preferences.

I don't have OS X installed. Is there a way to do that from NetBSD?

> > This swaps the meaning of a function keypress while holding "Fn"
> > and without holding it, so you can just press Alt+Apple+F1, for
> > example. (don't know why this isn't the default,
> > as it is much saner)
>
> Actually it's much uglier - it reinterprets keystroke from the ADB
> button device the Fn keys are posing as into ADB scancodes and feeds
> them to the keyboard driver. Change the hotkey setting on OSX is the
> sane thing to do.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that's how it worked. Now it makes
perfect sense that FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS isn't the default. IMHO one of
the docs could include a bit of text that explains the situation.
I'll at least add it to the macppc wiki page.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx