data size ulimit when building tools from source

This evening I began to upgrade the newly installed NetBSD on my
PowerBook G4 to the netbsd-4 tag.  After several minutes, the build
failed in the middle of GCC's generation of attribute tables for the
rs6000 machine description, when the `genattrtab' program exceeded its
data size ulimit of 128 MB.  I expanded the data size ulimit to 512
MB, and the build proceeded happily along.  (I suspect, judging by a
cursory examination of top during the invocation of `genattrtab', that
256 MB would suffice.)  Is this a known issue that is documented
somewhere, or am I doing something wrong?

Context: I checked out the NetBSD source tree into a directory within
my home directory probably with the command

   cvs -d anoncvs%anoncvs.NetBSD.org@localhost:/cvsroot co -r netbsd-4 -P src

per the instructions at <http://www.netbsd.org/docs/updating.html>.
Then to build it I ran (as me, not as root):

   mkdir obj tools
   cd src
   ./build.sh -O "`pwd`/../obj" -T "`pwd`/../tools" -U tools    \
     && ./build.sh -O "`pwd`/../obj" -T "`pwd`/../tools" -U     \
           kernel=GENERIC                                       \
     && ./build.sh -O "`pwd`/../obj" -T "`pwd`/../tools" -U     \
           distribution

I kept a typescript, too, of the invocation of build.sh; I have not
attached it, since it is nearly a megabyte, but let me know if you
would like to see it.