Re: macppc, XFree86, -current, lack of magic

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:41:43AM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Yeah, the module loader is broken on powerpc - it doesn't work with the new
> malloc routine in libc - it expects malloc to return memory chunks close
> enough together that 24bit relocs always work, something that was true with
> the old malloc.
> Xorg doesn't have this problem.
> So, please try pkgsrc/x11/modular-xorg, it /should/ just work on pretty
> much any Mac, the only graphics hardware that might not work are ancient,
> proprietary Apple onboard graphics chips ( /chaos/control and friends )
> If you really need XFree86 there's a workaround - you can build a libc with
> the old malloc with relatively little hassle.

Okay, I went the pkgsrc modular xorg route.

It's now segfaulting in Xorg with a
backtrace that's something like this:

0 dlsym()
1 DLFindSymbol()
2 LoaderSymbol()
3 LoaderListDirs()
4 LoadModule()
5 xf86LoadModules()
6 InitOutput()
7 main()

Could this be because I compiled xorg (and the base system)
with -mcpu=750 -O2?

        Jonathan Kollasch