Re: APPLE - 4 Port Ethernet 10/100 PCI Card 8SERVER012A1

I am looking for a 4 port network card. I found one of these online and I
was wondering if they are supported by NetBSD. I can't seem to find any
documentation on what chipset they use so it is really hard to say, but I
thought maybe someone on this list may have tried one.

The only ones I can think of right now which we /do/ support are Sun Quad FastEthernet ( also known as QFE ) cards. On the other hand, any card that's just a bunch of ethernet controllers behind a PCI-PCI bridge should Just Work(tm).

I have an Adaptec ANA-6944A/TX card which is not much more than a PCI bridge and four tlp* interfaces on one card. The pictures I can see of that Apple card appear to show a single larger chip which most likely would be the PCI bridge plus four smaller chips which would be the individual ethernet interfaces.

Why do you need four separate interfaces? Do you just want a way for two or three local machines to be able to talk to each other?

If you want more than two local machines to be able to talk to the machine which has this card without needing an external ethernet switch, be aware that you'll have to set up routing on the interfaces because they are completely separate from one another. On the other hand, if you just need to share one interface with several other machines, you can get a card which looks like this:

http://www.outletpc.com/c4504.html

It's basically a single ethernet interface and a four port 10/100 Mbps switch on a single card. I have two of them in one of my machines so I don't need external switches for the few devices which are connected.

John Klos