Re: Beige G3 webserver

Hi,

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> You don't need that. On the beige G3 the partition zero method should
> work and I doubt that OF 2 can read HFS anyway - you'd have to use a
> FAT filesystem. Just wipe the first few sectors of the disk to get
> rid of the apple partition table and run disklabel - don't bother
> with pdisk unless you want to share the disk with MacOS.

I searched for for "partition zero" and I didn't find anything that tell
me how to do this manually (the instructions that I found said to use the
installer). I maybe over complicating this, but I have not sleep to speek
of in days, becuase it is so critical that I get another server setup.

I can wipe the disk with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd0c bs=8k"
Then disklabel -e /dev/sd0c

Ok, that seems strait forward, but what is partition zero filesystem and
what do put on that partition. From what I read it is bootx.

I guess the other questions is how do I speify root, swap, var, usr, and
home. It has been along time since I have used disklabel not since I had a
cobalt.

> > I still have yet to successfully boot from a local drive.
>
> type 'printenv' on the OF prompt. If it outputs a longish script
> (instead of just a list of variables )  you've got the patches you need.

Yes, there is almost like shell script there now. I also ran XPostFacto 4
from OSX. It doesn't really tell you what it does, but the firmware seems
to act maybe a little bit better now.

> > Also, I have a monitor adaptor for a PC, but when it is in open
> > firmware
> > the screen is totally black. Is there anyway to fix this?
>
> Does your monitor support sync on green? And, does the monitor just
> display a black picture or does it go into power saving? In the
> latter case OF probably used a video mode your monitor doesn't
> understand. OF should default to 640x480 at 60Hz or whatever MacOS
> used last. If your battery is bad the latter should be lost anyway
> though.

I don't think the monitor supports sync on green. It displays a black
picture. It seems to default to 832x620 or something really odd on OSX.
The moniter will display that, but it is a little bit cut off. It will not
let me set it to 800x660 or 640x480 in OSX. I have another monitor that I
am going to try on it, but it would really be nice to get it working with
a PC monitor so that when I colo it they will be able to see what is on
the screen.

Thanks,
Al