Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD on Old World Mac
To: None <macallan@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/15/2007 09:00:22
macallan@NetBSD.org wrote:

> How did you install the boot loader on the harddisk? You need the 1st
> stage loader ( bootxx ) in partition 0 and the loader itself
> ( ofwboot, without the xcf extension ) in /, installboot takes care
> of bootxx but probably not of ofwboot.

As noted in installboot(8):
>>   Currently, installboot doesn't recognize an existing Apple partition map
>>   on the disk and always writes a faked map to make disks bootable.

> Then, how did you create those partitions? With pdisk or just
> disklabel? What worked for me is to wipe the apple partition map and
> just run disklabel. This will create partitions that MacOS can't see
> but I don't think you'd care about that.

The strategy used in current macppc/disksubr.c: readdisklable() seems:
(1) use a native NetBSD disklabel if it's in LABELSECTOR
(2) use an apple partition map if it's in LABELSECTOR
(3) recognize an MBR partition if it's in LABELSECTOR
(4) create a native NetBSD label if nothing is in LABELSECTOR

But I'm not sure how our installer creates partitions on a new disk.
Maybe the installer should know OF version of the machine and
wipe out existing maps on OF 1 and 2 machines to make it bootable?
(or make installboot(8) recognize existing apple partition map?)

> On my S900 ( which I don't have anymore, unfortunately ) I used boot
> 'scsi-int/sd@0:0 netbsd'

Hmm, does anyone try 603e class macppc after ppc-renovation merge?
Last time I tried it on my Apus2000, it panicked around an interrupt
handler.
---
Izumi Tsutsui