Subject: Re: iMac Rev.C(266MHz) - current - strange characters
To: Ryo Chiba <deadskin_mask@sky.bbexcite.jp>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2007 21:04:46
Hi,

On 11/17/07, Ryo Chiba <deadskin_mask@sky.bbexcite.jp> wrote:
> Hello, I've got an iMac Rev.C(266MHz, strawberry) and
> installed fresh snapshot of NetBSD/macppc(20071116; kernel=GENERIC 4.99.36).
>
> However, when I fire up that iMac and boot NetBSD-current,
> some random charactors of dmesg and other messages, login prompt
> are invisible(in other word, oddiy, or buggy).

Hmm... this sounds weird to me (although I do not have an iMac to
test, though). What do you mean by oddy or buggy; that that are
corrupted? Could you post one example? Also perhaps the dmesg output
would be helpful.
Does this always happen when displaying text in the console?

> I tried modifing GENERIC kernel config on the other i386 laptop and
> replaced, but these problems remain.
> My custom kernel changed black fg to white and white one to black.
> Also, I changed kernel font for a few fonts and removed radeonfb support,
> but the charactors are still invisible or not steady.

They are always on the same places or they change randomly?

I once experimented a case of corrupted dmesg output (things like odd
case variations or missing letters); but this was in syslogd(8) and
with some odd kernel config. I couldn't reproduce it in a normal
circumstance. But maybe I was missing something obvious...

Thanks,
Marco