Subject: Re: Testers with Rage 128 needed
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/16/2007 15:35:17
Hi,

On Nov 11, 2007 11:57 AM, Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just committed a preliminary console driver for ATI Rage 128
> > graphics controllers - many G4 PowerMacs shipped with those.
>
> Do you have a kernel image with the driver to test?  I tried to get
> the latest releng snapshots from yesterday but they don't seem to be
> available in the FTP server (although they are mentioned in
> releng.netbsd.org); perhaps due to the server relocation that was
> announced yesterday.

This doesn't matter now that new snapshots are available.
I used the latest snapshot (200711120002Z) to test the driver in the
machine I commented earlier (PowerMac G4 Sawtooth "AGP graphics" or
PowerMac3,1).
Sorry for the delay since my first message :-( .

The r128 card of this machine seems to be the same model as yours
(AGP4X, reported as 'ATI Technologies Rage Fury MAXX AGP 4x (TMDS)').
So, as expected, the driver attaches without modification and
everything works fine with a speedy console.

The only weird thing that I noticed was that, after booting the
kernel, no framebuffer output was printed until the r128 driver
attached. The first line of text was 'wsdisplay0 at r128fb0'.
But this may be fixed since this snapshot.

Thanks for this work!
Marco.

NetBSD 4.99.35 (GENERIC_MD) #0: Mon Nov 12 06:23:41 PST 2007
[...]
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
found openpic PIC at 80040000
OpenPIC Version 1.2: Supports 4 CPUs and 64 interrupt sources.
cpu0 at mainbus0: 7400 (Revision 0.9), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8094c0a4<EMCP,DOZE,DPM,EIEC,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,BHT>, powersave: 1
cpu0: 400.00 MHz, no-parity 1MB WB L2 cache (PB SRAM) at 2:1 ratio
[...]
uninorth0 at mainbus0
pci0 at uninorth0 bus 0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pchb0: Apple Computer UniNorth AGP Interface (rev. 0x00)
r128fb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage Fury MAXX AGP 4x (TMDS)
r128fb0: 64 MB aperture at 0x94000000
wsdisplay0 at r128fb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0