Subject: Re: OT: HW-issue, PowerBook G4 Ti does not power on
To: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/12/2007 16:08:00

Hello,

On Nov 12, 2007, at 06:11, Schwerzmann, Stephan wrote:

>   PROBLEM:
>   my dear old PB G4 Titanium (500MHz, no Gbit, no DVI - the real old
> one)
> does not power on any more: whether I leave the battery in place or
> not,
>
> with the power adapter plugged in, upon press of the power button
> nothing
> happens. (no chime, no light, no chirpy sounds, nada nothing niet
> nichts)

My PowerBook 3400c pulled a similar stunt a while ago, the solution
was a PMU reset - basically unplug everything, remove all batteries,
find the reset button and hold it for a minute or two in order to
drain any capacitor charge that might still provide power to nvram. I
don't know where this button is on the TiBooks but google knows
everyting.

>   QUESTIONS:
>
>   is there a way to verify the power adapter operates normally?
Absolutely.

>   what voltage at which pins are expected?
Something between 12v and 16v IIRC, on the two inner rings of the
central pin - the tip is unconnected or ground.

>   is there a way to crack open the power adapter?
Don't do that unless you really have to.

>   Is there a known "typical damage" inside the PowerBook, happening
> just
> by the age of the device?  (in the circuits around the power button?)
As I said - sometimes the PMU's firmware gets messed up and that may
lead to the symptoms you're seeing. The solution is to force it to
reset ( and thereby load its firmware from ROM ) - unfortunately the
exact procedure varies from machine to machine.

>   what shall I check inside the PowerBook?
If you open it then the first thing would be the backside of the
power connector.

have fun
Michael