Subject: OT: HW-issue, PowerBook G4 Ti does not power on
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/12/2007 12:11:15
dear experts,

  excuse me for this non-NetBSD centric question, thanks for not blaming
me.

  PROBLEM:
  my dear old PB G4 Titanium (500MHz, no Gbit, no DVI - the real old
one)
does not power on any more: whether I leave the battery in place or not,

with the power adapter plugged in, upon press of the power button
nothing=20
happens. (no chime, no light, no chirpy sounds, nada nothing niet
nichts)

  the battery is unuseable since a while (the capacity was only
sufficient
for 20 min. last time...)

  the jojo/puck gray-transparent power adapter draws power from mains as
I can see the regular small sparks when I plug in the power cord to the=20
wall outlet (some inrush current flows into the adapter)

  QUESTIONS:

  is there a way to verify the power adapter operates normally?
  what voltage at which pins are expected?
  is there a way to crack open the power adapter?
  I'd like to verify that some DC comes out of it, that the DC cable is=20
still firmly attached. (the proprietary plug apple uses is... hard to
tap)
 =20
  Is there a known "typical damage" inside the PowerBook, happening just

by the age of the device?  (in the circuits around the power button?)
  what shall I check inside the PowerBook? =20
(I have a well equipped electronics lab available)

thanks in advance for some hints
Stephan