Subject: Re: awacs driver
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/10/2007 15:51:11
Michael Lorenz wrote:

>> BTW, seems that the lockup is not  instantly. The last two times I
>> observed
>> that it takes 1 or 2 seconds where the mouse-pointer becomes very
>> slow and
>> starts jumping, before everything freezes.
> Hmm, I sometimes see that with some process bombing the kernel with
> system calls. But that's no deadlock, it just responds very, very
> slowly.

No, nothing does happen here, even after minutes.

>> But the music keeps playing, which means that the network still works
>> (although I cannot login).
> Can you reproduce this with something else than playing an audio
> stream? It looks more like a process running amok than awacs acting
> up right now.

Usually there is audio involved, but yesterday I experienced my first
deadlock without audio: I had disconnected the USB keyboard and mouse, then
reconnected them. Only the mouse was recognized and the keyboard seemed to
write to the boot console in background. Parts of the upper X11-screen were
overwritten by it. I killed the gnome-session and restarted the X server.
Then worked again for some time until the deadlock occurs...

But this is probably unrelated.

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/