Subject: Re: awacs driver
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2007 13:14:23
Michael Lorenz wrote:

> the hardware notes claim that the awacs driver can cause trouble on
> some G4 Macs, hints about interrupt storms. I've never had any trouble
> with this driver but I don't have an awacs-equipped G4 either - just a
> G3 and a PowerBook. My guess is that those problems were caused by the
> old, horribly buggy interrupt code which has been improved a lot in the
> last two years.

Unfortunately there is still a problem with it, at least with NetBSD 3.1.1.

I like to hear to a radio live stream while compiling and developing, and
after a few minutes it happened: complete lockup of the system! The only
life-sign was that I could still ping the machine, but not log-in.

This is a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth) 400 MHz with 1.25 GB RAM. The load was not
too high (mainly caused by Firefox). I was just starting a new live stream on
xmms when it happened.

Did the interrupt code improve from 3.1 to 4.0, or in current? Then I might
test that again.

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/