Subject: Re: 4.0rc1 less stable than 3.1?
To: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2007 19:04:42

Hello,

On Oct 7, 2007, at 15:29, Joachim Thiemann wrote:

> (Sorry, forgot to also reply to port-macppc the last time)

> Ok, another crash, this time with stack trace:
> panic: pool_put: dino2pl: page header missing
> Stopped in pid 85.1 (cvs) at netbsd: cpu_Debugger +0x10: lzw
> r0,r1,0x14
>
> The backtrace:
> 0xd5737980: at panic+0x1b4
> ...: at pool_do_pu+0x198
> ...: at pool_put+28
> at ffs_reclaim+0x6c
> at VOP_RECLAIM+0x30

Hmm, that's file system code. Does it always come form there?

>> That's a cmdide, isn't it? Sucky but should work at least with PIO4/
>> DMA2.
>
> Yes, my dmesg is:
> cmdide0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0
> cmdide0: CMD Technology PCI0646 (rev. 0x05)
> cmdide0: bus-master DMA support present
> cmdide0: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
> cmdide0: using irq 26 for native-PCI interrupt
> atabus0 at cmdide0 channel 0
> cmdide0: secondary channel configured to native-PCI mode
> cmdide0: secondary channel ignored (disabled)
> wdc0 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13: DMA transfer
> atabus1 at wdc0 channel 0
> wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <WDC WD2500JB-00REA0>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
> wd0: 232 GB, 484521 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x
> 488397168 sectors
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/
> 100)
> wd1 at atabus0 drive 1: <IBM-DTTA-350640>
> wd1: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
> wd1: 6197 MB, 12592 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12692736
> sectors
> wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/
> 33)
> wd0(cmdide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA)
> wd1(cmdide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA)
> atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
> cd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <MATSHITA CR-587, , 7S14> cdrom removable
> cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
> cd0(wdc0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA)

Since you're running everything in PIO4/DMA2 anyway - could you
please check if anything changes when the disks are hooked up to wdc
at obio? If that works without errors we know it's the cmdide, if
they persist I'd suspect the hardware.

>> On the other hand, the integrated IDE channels do that as well,
>> Heathrow IDE is a bit weird ( mine spits an error when probing the
>> drives but all that does is a 3 second delay ) but it works just fine
>> if you have good cables. At least the Heathrow in my beige G3 was
>> extremely sensitive - when I first got the machine I had to run it
>> without IDE DMA because of all the errors, data corruption etc. I got
>> on both channels. Didn't think of swapping the cables right away
>> because I didn't expect them both to be bad. Got new cables - no more
>> problems.
>
> Yes, I'll definitively try swapping cables.  However, 3.1 did seem
> more stable, so I'll wait for the next crash (shouldn't take too long
> ;-) and see if the backtrace is similar.

Well, if 3.1 didn't crash at all that would be an indication.

have fun
Michael