Subject: Re: Seemingly random SIGILL in SMP
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Wong <allen@submoron.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2007 23:49:39
--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

Michael,

-> To verify it's the same problem please load the core file into gdb =20
-> and disassemble what's at the fault address:
-> gdb -c whatever.core /path/to/whatever
-> disassemble 0xwhereveritborked
->=20
-> If the disassembly dump looks like this:
-> li r11,something
-> b somewhere
-> li r11, somethingelse
-> b elsewhere
-> or something like that ( just a long list of loads and branches ) =20
-> then it's the same problem.
->=20

I don't get anything from gdb:

# gdb -c /usr/src//lib/libcrypto/sh.core /bin/sh
GNU gdb 5.3nb1
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
Core was generated by `sh'.
Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
Reading symbols from /lib/libedit.so.2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libedit.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libtermcap.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libtermcap.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.12...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.12
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld.elf_so...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld.elf_so
#0  0xeff7cf74 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.12
(gdb) disassemble 0xeff7cf74
No function contains specified address.

-> >I'll build the userland in a UP kernel tonight and let you know.  =20
-> >My iMac G3
-> >has never had this problem and is extremely stable.
->=20
-> That sounds indeed like the problem I'm talking about.
->=20

A UP kernel builds the userland with no problems.

-> It probably won't work in 4.0, I'll build you one that does.
->=20

Can you please build one for 3.1 as well?  I'm still working on booting 4.0
on an ide drive.  Thanks!

Allen
--=20
If all about you there are people panicking while you remain calm and seren=
e, maybe you don't belong on Wall Street.
    Alan Abelson, editor Barron's
11:40PM  up  3:25, 2 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.24, 0.24

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--